Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nostalgia



Few years back (Vadodra, Gujarat):

Hey Akshay! Look, my school, my mom shouted in joy. It was weird to see her clapping her hands like a small girl. For a 6 year old, mom is the most powerful person. She is the one who controls your destiny- from what you eat to what you wear to what you get beaten with. Seeing her acting like that confused me.
Come on ma! What a big deal! Just a building. That too in such a bad shape. Who likes the school anyway?
Mom mellowed down her excitement, but still stared at her school, seemingly lost in her thoughts and watched her school left behind as we drove through.
Hey why do you hate your school so much?
Ma! What is there to like about a school? Homework, Exercise, Wake up early, Dress, Punishment, Bullies- who in the world can love his school?
You'll realize some day.

=============================================================
25 years later (Pune, Maharashtra):
(Life had moved on. I was working in a software firm. Married, settled. Ma was no more. But I knew she was still looking after me.)

Angel! Come on. Get ready for school. It's 8 a.m. already
Come on dad! Please let me sleep. I'm not going school today.
Angel, subah subah punishment chahiye kya? Chalo ready ho! Dress nikal di hai. And breakfast mein cornflakes khayenge. Jaldi!

I turned on the news. The headline said- "Today President will visit JK school in Kanpur and address students."
Angel angel! Come here. My school. See!
I was jumping with joy seeing my school in news footage.
Dad! She said, rubbing her eyes and looking confused - It's just a small building. What's the big deal?
I looked up facing the sky and said with a faint smile- You'll realize some day

=====================================================================

(Too much of a mushy story. Thought of deleting it, but then I'll post it anyways since I get very few opportunities to update this space now.)


Current Issues:
 

1 comments:

    Very nicely written.. Extremely touching... Keep up the good work

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails